New debugger coming soon!
Aldo Nunez
2010-08-09 04:45:19 UTC
I'll be posting the D debugger I've been working on at dsource this week. It'll
be a set of debugging libraries that you can build your own debugger with, along
with a Debug Engine plug-in for Visual Studio.

I'll post another announcement as soon as it's available.
Walter Bright
This is great news!
Arth Lloyd Flores
2010-08-09 08:52:54 UTC
Cool! I can't wait to see it... Is this for v2.x?

--
-Arth
-------------- next part --------------
Post by Aldo Nunez
I'll be posting the D debugger I've been working on at dsource this week. It'll
be a set of debugging libraries that you can build your own debugger with, along
with a Debug Engine plug-in for Visual Studio.
I'll post another announcement as soon as it's available.
Very nice, sir!

Does the plug-in work for all versions of VS? And is it supposed to work
with Visual D?

/Max
Stephan
2010-08-09 14:15:58 UTC
Post by awishformore
Post by Aldo Nunez
I'll be posting the D debugger I've been working on at dsource this week. It'll
be a set of debugging libraries that you can build your own debugger with, along
with a Debug Engine plug-in for Visual Studio.
I'll post another announcement as soon as it's available.
Very nice, sir!
Does the plug-in work for all versions of VS? And is it supposed to work
with Visual D?
/Max
I hope it is, what we don't need is yet another possibility to code and
debug D. VisualD + cv2pdb works very well for me. i hope the two
developers are trying to sync both approaches.
Aldo Nunez
2010-08-09 17:44:27 UTC
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 06:33:50 -0700, awishformore <awishformore at nospam.plz>
Post by awishformore
Post by Aldo Nunez
I'll be posting the D debugger I've been working on at dsource this week. It'll
be a set of debugging libraries that you can build your own debugger with, along
with a Debug Engine plug-in for Visual Studio.
I'll post another announcement as soon as it's available.
Very nice, sir!
Does the plug-in work for all versions of VS? And is it supposed to work
with Visual D?
/Max
It's for D 2. From the beginning I had no intent to make it compatible
with D 1.

The Visual Studio plug-in is for 2005, 2008, and 2010. I haven't looked
into if it works for earlier versions.

My understanding is that VisualD could easily be made to use this plug-in,
instead of the built-in C++ one. It should be a matter of switching the
GUID for the Debug Engine used.

Part of the reason I wanted to make this debugger is that using cv2pdb,
although a great tool that helped fill a need, means:
1. Relying on the built-in C++ debugger, which means you get a C++
expression evaluator.
2. Using undocumented interfaces.
3. Using Microsoft binaries that might not be redistributable (I'm not
completely sure of this).
Trass3r
2010-08-10 00:10:29 UTC
That sounds really good.
Rainer Schuetze
2010-08-10 11:48:38 UTC
Post by awishformore
Post by Aldo Nunez
I'll be posting the D debugger I've been working on at dsource this week. It'll
be a set of debugging libraries that you can build your own debugger with, along
with a Debug Engine plug-in for Visual Studio.
I'll post another announcement as soon as it's available.
That sounds awesome.
Post by Aldo Nunez
Post by awishformore
Very nice, sir!
Does the plug-in work for all versions of VS? And is it supposed to
work with Visual D?
/Max
It's for D 2. From the beginning I had no intent to make it compatible
with D 1.
The Visual Studio plug-in is for 2005, 2008, and 2010. I haven't looked
into if it works for earlier versions.
.NET 2003 seems very similar. Even though you can install Visual D on
it, I've seen some quirks and did not bother to look deeper into it. I
would not expect too many users.
Post by Aldo Nunez
My understanding is that VisualD could easily be made to use this
plug-in, instead of the built-in C++ one. It should be a matter of
switching the GUID for the Debug Engine used.
Yes, should be easy to do ;-)
Post by Aldo Nunez
Part of the reason I wanted to make this debugger is that using cv2pdb,
1. Relying on the built-in C++ debugger, which means you get a C++
expression evaluator.
I was thinking of building an expression evaluator for Visual D but did
not get to it yet. Building the whole debug engine looks like a big job
to me.
Post by Aldo Nunez
2. Using undocumented interfaces.
True, that's been a lot of hassle.
Post by Aldo Nunez
3. Using Microsoft binaries that might not be redistributable (I'm not
completely sure of this).
As the pdb-output is expected to be run within Visual Studio that
includes the necessary files, that should not be a big problem. For
other debuggers, you might be right.

4. Using cv2pdb you have to live with some quirks like using '@' instead
of '.' in fully qualified symbol names. This can be confusing for beginners.

Rainer
Stanislav Blinov
2010-08-11 09:24:19 UTC
Post by Aldo Nunez
Part of the reason I wanted to make this debugger is that using
2. Using undocumented interfaces.
3. Using Microsoft binaries that might not be redistributable (I'm not
completely sure of this).
Does this imply that the debugger will not support .pdb debug info at all?
--
*
*

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 02:24:19 -0700, Stanislav Blinov <blinov at loniir.ru>
Post by Stanislav Blinov
Post by Aldo Nunez
Part of the reason I wanted to make this debugger is that using
2. Using undocumented interfaces.
3. Using Microsoft binaries that might not be redistributable (I'm not
completely sure of this).
Does this imply that the debugger will not support .pdb debug info at
all?
Right now it reads CodeView information that the DMD compiler writes.
There's nothing stopping one from using the Microsoft DIA API to read
symbols in PDB files, for example for stepping thru C or C++ code that you
link with. That is on my planned list of features.
Eric Poggel
It would also be great to have Descent integration (crosses fingers)
Andrei Alexandrescu
2010-08-10 01:04:14 UTC
Post by Aldo Nunez
I'll be posting the D debugger I've been working on at dsource this week. It'll
be a set of debugging libraries that you can build your own debugger with, along
with a Debug Engine plug-in for Visual Studio.
I'll post another announcement as soon as it's available.
If well executed, this may as well be a huge contribution to D's success.

Andrei
Jason House
2010-08-10 02:43:23 UTC
Which platforms are supported? Linux? OSX? FreeBSD? I hope it isn't Windows-only!
Sean Kelly
Fantastic! Can I attach to a running process and debug it, or will I have to set up a project to get symbols to display correctly?
Aldo Nunez
2010-08-10 23:15:20 UTC
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:45:25 -0700, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org>
Post by Sean Kelly
Post by Aldo Nunez
I'll be posting the D debugger I've been working on at dsource this week. It'll
be a set of debugging libraries that you can build your own debugger with, along
with a Debug Engine plug-in for Visual Studio.
I'll post another announcement as soon as it's available.
Fantastic! Can I attach to a running process and debug it, or will I
have to set up a project to get symbols to display correctly?
I want to list all the features with the project, but I might as well
start here.
With the plug-in alone (meaning not launched with a project system like
VisualD), you can run an app and debug it. In that way you can have an
end-to-end debugging session with most debugging features like source line
stepping, breakpoints, and expression evaluation. Attaching to a running
process is one feature that's planned but not supported yet.
F. Almeida
2010-08-11 09:43:15 UTC
== Quote from Aldo Nunez (aldoSkipallthisNunez1 at gmail.com)'s article
Post by Aldo Nunez
Post by Aldo Nunez
Post by Aldo Nunez
Post by Aldo Nunez
stepping, breakpoints, and expression evaluation. Attaching to a running
process is one feature that's planned but not supported yet.
Will it support gdb commands "emulation" like ddbg did? That would
be very useful for calling from an external application that already
supports gdb.
Aldo Nunez
2010-08-13 23:00:09 UTC
Post by Aldo Nunez
Post by Aldo Nunez
Post by Aldo Nunez
Post by Aldo Nunez
process is one feature that's planned but not supported yet.
Will it support gdb commands "emulation" like ddbg did? That would
be very useful for calling from an external application that already
supports gdb.
I agree that that would be a useful feature. I invite everyone to take a
look at the code and build extensions like that.