We have completed our GSoC 2013 application
Andrei Alexandrescu
2013-03-27 15:10:50 UTC
For details: http://dlang.org/gsoc2013.html

This year we have the accumulated experience of the previous two
editions, a strong mentor lineup, and a community more welcoming and
active than ever before. We hope to get a strong outcome from our
participation this year at GSoC 2013.

The deadline is March 29 at noon PST. We can update our application
until then. Please don't forget to brainstorm project ideas at our ideas
wiki: http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2013_Ideas.

Thanks,

Andrei
Andrei Alexandrescu
2013-04-08 22:55:27 UTC
Unfortunately our application to GSoC 2013 has been rejected. The list
of accepted organization is at
https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2013.
We will consider applying again to GSoC in the future.

This is of course not the outcome we were hoping for, but not a major
setback. Going forward let's continue ramping up work on improving the
quality of implementation and the language definition.

Andrei
Rikki Cattermole
2013-04-09 04:49:43 UTC
On Monday, 8 April 2013 at 22:55:28 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
Post by Andrei Alexandrescu
Unfortunately our application to GSoC 2013 has been rejected.
The list of accepted organization is at
https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2013.
We will consider applying again to GSoC in the future.
This is of course not the outcome we were hoping for, but not a
major setback. Going forward let's continue ramping up work on
improving the quality of implementation and the language
definition.
Andrei
Do we know why it was rejected? Because if we can find out we
might be able to work on those issues.
Walter Bright
2013-04-09 05:06:03 UTC
We don't know why.
Rory McGuire
2013-04-09 06:42:21 UTC
Could we not still run the basics of the program minus the funding? Perhaps
there are still students and mentors that would be interested
in contributing their time for their name down in the history of D. :)

We could call it DSoC. There would still be an approval process that way
everyone knows what is expected and there is still the experience
and record of that experience for potential employers to refer to so that
candidates can use the experience for reference.

The D community is stable so I really think this could work (as opposed to
a unstable community where references would mean nothing).
I would be interested in DSoC more than GSoC because I work full-time and
wouldn't be able to put in a full summer of time.
Post by Walter Bright
Do we know why it was rejected? Because if we can find out we might be able to
work on those issues.
We don't know why.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Very interesting idea!
Timothee Cour

Very interesting idea!
Brad Roberts
2013-04-09 16:32:38 UTC
Post by Walter Bright
Post by Rory McGuire
Could we not still run the basics of the program minus the funding? Perhaps
there are still students and mentors that would be interested
in contributing their time for their name down in the history of D. :)
We could call it DSoC. There would still be an approval process that way
everyone knows what is expected and there is still the experience
and record of that experience for potential employers to refer to so that
candidates can use the experience for reference.
The D community is stable so I really think this could work (as opposed to a
unstable community where references would mean nothing).
I would be interested in DSoC more than GSoC because I work full-time and
wouldn't be able to put in a full summer of time.
Very interesting idea!
In what way would this differ from the normal every day experience of
"hey, I'm going to work on X, could I ask for some help with the design
of it?"
Rory McGuire
2013-04-09 18:13:39 UTC
It is only different in that it is official, and there is a deadline.
It's good PR. When you hear "D summer of code" project you know there is at
least one person working hard on the project and that they definitely have
a mentor.

It would be on record that you were involved in DSoC 2013.

:) plus a group would get to approve or disapprove projects.

If you don't complete your project it is a lot worse than if it were just
an idea mentioned on a forum somewhere.

There really is something to it being official and having a deadline though.
Post by Brad Roberts
Post by Walter Bright
Post by Rory McGuire
[...]
On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 20:13:39 +0200
Post by Rory McGuire
It is only different in that it is official, and there is a deadline.
It's good PR. When you hear "D summer of code" project you know there
is at least one person working hard on the project and that they
definitely have a mentor.
It would be on record that you were involved in DSoC 2013.
:) plus a group would get to approve or disapprove projects.
If you don't complete your project it is a lot worse than if it were
just an idea mentioned on a forum somewhere.
There really is something to it being official and having a deadline
though.
Plus, as someone already alluded to, it wouldn't necessarily have to
exclude people, as GSoC intentionally does, just because they went with
a non-traditional non-one-size-fits-all education route.

F i L
2013-04-09 16:45:39 UTC
Celebration is good for the community.
Dicebot
2013-04-09 17:49:04 UTC
Post by Brad Roberts
In what way would this differ from the normal every day
experience of "hey, I'm going to work on X, could I ask for
some help with the design of it?"
You are somewhat guaranteed to have a person you can ask for help
and expect at least some answer if you are accepted. Totally
different from usual workflow.
deadalnix
2013-04-10 16:06:17 UTC
We are 2
Dicebot
2013-04-09 07:48:50 UTC
Post by Rory McGuire
[...]
Nice idea. I have been full of envy all the times when D + GSoC
happened because you need to be somehow tied to formal education
system to apply. Opportunity to work under the mentorship of
experienced D developer should be valuable enough on its own,
even without funding.