Visual D 0.3.36 released - support for Alex Bothe's semantic analysis, LDC and profiling
Rainer Schuetze
2013-05-11 10:39:45 UTC
Hi,

a new version of Visual D is long overdue, so finally it is released. In
addition to the usual fixes of bugs and regressions, the major
highlights of this version are

- DParser by Alexander Bothe (https://github.com/aBothe/D_Parser, also
used by Mono-D) integrated as an alternative semantic engine for better
code completion (use "Open Language options" from the Visual D menu to
access the enable option)
- added command "Compile and Run" to execute current text buffer or
selection via rdmd
- added option "Colorize coverage from .LST file" to highlight lines
from code coverage output
- updated to new features of the language and tooling as of dmd 2.062
- basic LDC support and separate option pages for DMD/GDC/LDC directories

The full list of changes can be found here:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/wiki/VersionHistory

Visual D is a Visual Studio package providing both project management
and language services for the D programming language. It works with
Visual Studio 2005-12 as well as the free Visual Studio Shells.

The Visual D installer can be downloaded from its website at
http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald

Visual D is completely written in D, the source code is available at
github (https://github.com/rainers/visuald) and dsource
(http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/browser/trunk).

Rainer
Simen Kjaeraas
2013-05-11 11:21:40 UTC
Post by Rainer Schuetze
[...]
The download link doesn't seem to work. The error message and a click
on 'downloads' shows the file is not where it should be.
Simen
Rainer Schuetze
2013-05-11 11:32:30 UTC
Post by Simen Kjaeraas
Post by Rainer Schuetze
The Visual D installer can be downloaded from its website at
http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald
Visual D is completely written in D, the source code is available at
github (https://github.com/rainers/visuald) and dsource
(http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/browser/trunk).
Rainer
The download link doesn't seem to work. The error message and a click
on 'downloads' shows the file is not where it should be.
Ouch, missed to upload it after renaming the previous (broken) version
to rc. It is fixed now.
Kai Nacke
2013-05-11 19:45:20 UTC
Post by Rainer Schuetze
- basic LDC support and separate option pages for DMD/GDC/LDC
directories
I am going to love this. :-)

Kai
Flamaros
A very nice update. Great job.
Walter Bright
2013-05-12 18:48:20 UTC
Post by Rainer Schuetze
a new version of Visual D is long overdue, so finally it is released. In
addition to the usual fixes of bugs and regressions, the major highlights of
this version are
This deserves a much higher profile. Few people know about it.

Can you write a brief article about Visual D? Then we can link to it, and post
it on Reddit.
nazriel
2013-05-14 01:25:02 UTC
Post by Walter Bright
Post by Rainer Schuetze
a new version of Visual D is long overdue, so finally it is
released. In
addition to the usual fixes of bugs and regressions, the major highlights of
this version are
This deserves a much higher profile. Few people know about it.
Can you write a brief article about Visual D? Then we can link
to it, and post it on Reddit.
I agree with Walter.
I am not using Visual-D myself (Not Windows user) but questions
about IDEs are popping up very frequently both on Reddit,
Newsgroup and IRC channel.

Good article could make things more clean in this area.
Rainer Schuetze
2013-05-17 17:43:27 UTC
Post by Walter Bright
Post by Rainer Schuetze
a new version of Visual D is long overdue, so finally it is released. In
addition to the usual fixes of bugs and regressions, the major highlights of
this version are
This deserves a much higher profile. Few people know about it.
Can you write a brief article about Visual D? Then we can link to it,
and post it on Reddit.
I'm lagging behind on documentation anyway, so if I find the time, I'll
try to do it as an article.
Rainer Schuetze
2013-05-30 12:55:25 UTC
Post by Rainer Schuetze
Post by Walter Bright
Post by Rainer Schuetze
a new version of Visual D is long overdue, so finally it is released. In
addition to the usual fixes of bugs and regressions, the major highlights of
this version are
This deserves a much higher profile. Few people know about it.
Can you write a brief article about Visual D? Then we can link to it,
and post it on Reddit.
I'm lagging behind on documentation anyway, so if I find the time, I'll
try to do it as an article.
Probably a bit late, but here is a short article about the new version
with some bias towards "Unittesting and code coverage analysis with
Visual D": http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/wiki/News36
Flamaros
2013-05-30 22:39:27 UTC
Post by Rainer Schuetze
Post by Rainer Schuetze
Post by Walter Bright
Post by Rainer Schuetze
a new version of Visual D is long overdue, so finally it is
released. In
addition to the usual fixes of bugs and regressions, the
major
highlights of
this version are
This deserves a much higher profile. Few people know about it.
Can you write a brief article about Visual D? Then we can
link to it,
and post it on Reddit.
I'm lagging behind on documentation anyway, so if I find the
time, I'll
try to do it as an article.
Probably a bit late, but here is a short article about the new
version with some bias towards "Unittesting and code coverage
http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/wiki/News36
I missed that, it's a good remainder, thank you.

It certainly help a lot the community.
Flamaros
2013-06-01 10:45:35 UTC
Post by Flamaros
Post by Rainer Schuetze
Post by Rainer Schuetze
Post by Walter Bright
Post by Rainer Schuetze
a new version of Visual D is long overdue, so finally it is released. In
addition to the usual fixes of bugs and regressions, the
major
highlights of
this version are
This deserves a much higher profile. Few people know about
it.
Can you write a brief article about Visual D? Then we can
link to it,
and post it on Reddit.
I'm lagging behind on documentation anyway, so if I find the
time, I'll
try to do it as an article.
Probably a bit late, but here is a short article about the new
version with some bias towards "Unittesting and code coverage
http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/wiki/News36
I missed that, it's a good remainder, thank you.
It certainly help a lot the community.
I followed indications, lst files are correctly generated for the
code coverage, but I don't have the coloration in the editor. Can
be because my application crash when exiting?
Rainer Schuetze
2013-06-01 10:55:29 UTC
I followed indications, lst files are correctly generated for the code
coverage, but I don't have the coloration in the editor. Can be because
my application crash when exiting?
If your application crashed, the lst file might be from a previous run
and is considered out of sync. Please check whether it is newer than the
source file.
Also, it has to be in the same folder with the same base name as the
source. I've recently noticed that the lst files generation seem to
replace '/' with '-' in path names making it pretty unpredictable were
to look for files when all you know the source file name. I'll have to
add a workaround for that.
Flamaros
2013-06-01 14:59:15 UTC
Post by Rainer Schuetze
Post by Flamaros
I followed indications, lst files are correctly generated for
the code
coverage, but I don't have the coloration in the editor. Can
be because
my application crash when exiting?
If your application crashed, the lst file might be from a
previous run and is considered out of sync. Please check
whether it is newer than the source file.
Also, it has to be in the same folder with the same base name
as the source. I've recently noticed that the lst files
generation seem to replace '/' with '-' in path names making it
pretty unpredictable were to look for files when all you know
the source file name. I'll have to add a workaround for that.
When I check last modification of lst files it seems good.

Effectively files name contains '-' characters (ex :
"..-src-dquick-item-mouseAreaItem.lst")
Source file naming prevent '-' characters, so if everybody follow
this rule replacing '-' by '/' will allow you to get right paths.
Rainer Schuetze
2013-06-01 15:10:27 UTC
Post by Flamaros
Post by Rainer Schuetze
[...]
I guess Visual D will have to remember the last directory where it
invoked the "Compile and Run" command and try to match lst files in that
directory to the current source file.

Does anybody know why the lst file is not written side-by-side with the
source file?
Manu
2013-06-01 23:20:19 UTC
I'd say this is a good thing. Please don't pollute the source tree with
junk placed next to the source files. This is very un-visual-studio. They
should be in the intermediate folder next to the obj files.
Post by Flamaros
[...]
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
[..]
Notice that "alias this = id" is not supposed to be valid syntax.
Bruno Medeiros
2013-05-16 10:08:14 UTC
Post by TommiT
Post by Rainer Schuetze
[..]
http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/wiki/VersionHistory
[..]
Notice that "alias this = id" is not supposed to be valid syntax.
Huh, what's this about? DMD does not seem to recognize it, but it's
listed in the grammar. Is it an upcoming feature or is the grammar out
of date?
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer
Ali Çehreli
2013-05-16 16:58:25 UTC
Post by Bruno Medeiros
Post by TommiT
Notice that "alias this = id" is not supposed to be valid syntax.
Huh, what's this about? DMD does not seem to recognize it, but it's
listed in the grammar. Is it an upcoming feature or is the grammar out
of date?
When the other use of alias has been changed from

alias int NewName; // weird syntax

alias NewName = int; // welcome syntax

'alias this' has also been inadvertently changed from

alias memberFunc this; // still valid syntax

alias this = memberFunc; // buggy syntax

It has been a recent bug which has quickly been reverted. Here is a past
discussion:

Ali
Bruno Medeiros
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/aaflopktcjmljxdnoizj at forum.dlang.org
Ali
Ah I see. I was about to ask why was it put in the grammar documentation
then, but it seems it is no longer there for the online version of the
documentation:
http://dlang.org/declaration.html#AliasThisDeclaration

It is still present in the documentaton of the 2.062 DMD download
though, hence my confusion. :S
(I was looking at the download doc)
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer
Paulo Pinto
Great work, updating it right now! :)
alex
2013-05-15 21:19:13 UTC
Post by Rainer Schuetze
Hi,
a new version of Visual D is long overdue, so finally it is
released. In addition to the usual fixes of bugs and
regressions, the major highlights of this version are
- DParser by Alexander Bothe
(https://github.com/aBothe/D_Parser, also used by Mono-D)
integrated as an alternative semantic engine for better code
completion (use "Open Language options" from the Visual D menu
to access the enable option)
Finally :) -- Hopefully I can find some more time to do more
pre-compile time analysis implementation of D code ;)

Oh btw, have you implemented the D_Parser.Misc.CompletionOptions?
You can toggle mixin pre-evaluation and other tweaks over there
Rainer Schuetze
2013-05-17 17:39:41 UTC
Post by Rainer Schuetze
Hi,
a new version of Visual D is long overdue, so finally it is released.
In addition to the usual fixes of bugs and regressions, the major
highlights of this version are
- DParser by Alexander Bothe (https://github.com/aBothe/D_Parser, also
used by Mono-D) integrated as an alternative semantic engine for
better code completion (use "Open Language options" from the Visual D
menu to access the enable option)
Finally :) -- Hopefully I can find some more time to do more pre-compile
time analysis implementation of D code ;)
Oh btw, have you implemented the D_Parser.Misc.CompletionOptions? You
can toggle mixin pre-evaluation and other tweaks over there
I just left them at their default, i.e. UFCS is enabled, but
mixin-support is disabled. Any problem with enabling the latter?

The other options seem unused sofar when grepping for them, maybe they
are used by Mono-D, but not DParser (the version used by the installer
doesn't have the HideDeprecatedNodes option).
alex
2013-05-18 18:49:51 UTC
Post by Rainer Schuetze
On Saturday, 11 May 2013 at 10:39:39 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
Post by Rainer Schuetze
[...]
mixin support might be good (but well, it's still and probably
will ever be basic) -- there are problems with having too many
mixins in one module, that's why I left it opt-in only. Anyway
the option might be nice to have somewhere :)
Mr. Anonymous
2013-05-18 19:18:53 UTC
Post by Rainer Schuetze
[...]
Is the wiki readonly?
http://wiki.dlang.org/IDEs

I've tried to update the "Last known activity" date, but I
couldn't find the Edit button.
David Nadlinger
2013-05-18 19:55:30 UTC
Post by Mr. Anonymous
Is the wiki readonly?
http://wiki.dlang.org/IDEs
I've tried to update the "Last known activity" date, but I
couldn't find the Edit button.
You need to be logged in. The Edit tab will then appear in place
of the View Source one.

David